1854 Ashborn Hall

1854 Ashborn Hall

James Ashborn operated the world’s first-known guitar factory, in Connecticut, from 1848-63, differing from the smaller operation of Martin, in Pennsylvania, in that he was much more into mass production. His instruments were well known and revered, though few survive today. This particular one has been identified as having been made around 1853 by David Gansz, the foremost authority on Ashborn. It was made for the William Hall Co. of New York and is stamped, on the center strip of the back inside, and visible through the soundhole  WILLIAM HALL & SON / 239 BROADWAY / 2 NEW-YORK 4395  The “2" on the second line is its model number; “4395" is its serial number. The back and sides are rosewood, laminated, as most of them were. The top is solid spruce, the neck is what appears to be Spanish cedar, very popular at that time. There are two top cracks, running alongside the edges of the fingerboard (which is ebony), and one going down from the bridge. The ebony bridge itself is original, lifting off, with a non-original wood saddle. The brass tuning machines are original, with rosewood buttons, one of which is gone. The case is original too, being made of wood, in the style of the day. This is an important historical piece of the American guitar world, offered as is for $1495 w/ohsc

w/ohsc

$1495.00
QTY:

Free Shipping for All Domestic Orders Over $100